The Demise of Reading
I have noticed that we are trending away from reading books and it seems to be more so lately.
I can't help but notice that libraries are expected to wear many "hats" in order to attract people to their doors. They no longer are just places to read good books. Now they are places to learn crafts, they host job fairs, and basically have a babysitter service via "Story Time". They are a place to go and use their internet.
I don't see anything wrong with these different endeavors at our libraries, it just makes me kind of sad that it is no longer enough to be a library and maybe host a summer reading program where young book readers can earn a certificate for the number of books they read.
I have also noticed an increasing number of apps that will supposedly take a book you want to read and turn it into an audio book so you can listen to it without reading it. Ok, well I have not tried these apps but I wonder if they are limited to new and current books? If so, there are a lot of fine old books that one might never know existed. I would assume certain classic literature would still be available but that probably excludes anything that is out of print.
And yes, you will still read... for now. You will read texts, social media, Google searches etc. So technically reading is still around but oh to finish a good book, close it, sigh with satisfaction and cherish the story in your heart for years to come!
Comments
Post a Comment